Sunday, November 21, 2010

Attitude adjustment and a promise to myself

I still haven't been able to get back into the swing of things.  My foot has been feeling a lot better and I've been able to do some run/walk outings - 4 miles during the week; 9 and 14 miles last weekend.  Unfortunately, some days are better than others and I've had a few flair-ups.  Last week I saw my regular doctor for a referral to a podiatrist, who I'll see this Wednesday.   She also sent me to get x-rays of my feet.  I got a call from her the next day to report that I did not have a stress fracture.  It had been 2 weeks after I first felt pain in my foot so I suppose that was long enough for a fracture to show.  I wasn't really worried about a stress fracture, but it was good to know. 

Yesterday, I went out for 20 miles of run/walk.  I felt pretty good, but I ended up doing too much running.  I wore a metatarsal pad to protect the area where I may have the neuroma and my foot itself didn't hurt too badly.  But try as I might to run naturally, the foot problem has been impacting my gait.  My ankle and shin are now killing me and I need to back off.  I'm so mad at myself for putting myself in this position.  I'm finger crossing that I haven't done too much damage.  Having made it through nearly 2 years of not running, I vowed I would never let a race become more important than my health.  

I still want to participate in Across the Years.  Unless the podiatrist has a miracle cure for me, I'm going to walk it.  And I don't mean power walk.  I'm thinking a leisurely 18-20 minute pace sounds very nice.  If I can make 100 miles, great!  If I can't make 100 miles, I want to still be out there when the clock turns over to 9 am on January 1,  with a smile on my face.

I'm posting this here as a reminder to myself.  If I wake up tomorrow, or the next day, feeling great I'm NOT going for a run.   I promise.