Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Working on a 45 mile week

This is the last big week of my marathon training and then its on to the taper. My schedule calls for a 45 mile week:

Mon: Rest
Tue: 5
Wed: 6
Thur: 5
Fri: 4
Sat: 22
Sun: 3

I ran 5.5 with J this morning so I'm well on my way. S is out of town on Saturday so we'll run the 22 on Sunday. My quads are sore from my half-marathon which is somewhat surprising to me. I guess its been a while since I've run that hard over that distance. I'll see how I feel and may take another rest day on Saturday and skip the 3. But I really want to hit that 45 mile mark. I've been above 30 since February and I've had two weeks above 40 so far this year. Last year I only had two weeks above 35 and eight weeks above 30. So I'm happy with my progress.

4 comments:

matt said...

sounds like a big week for you...do you do any cross training, as well? good luck with your marathon...i look forward to your report.

angie's pink fuzzy said...

what fun! I'll be doing 21-ish this weekend, then it's taper time!

Kim said...

Have you ever considered ice baths?
I swear by them. I did my first one of the season after my 13 mile run on Sunday, and I feel great afterwards.
I usually do an ice bath after runs of longer than 12 or 13 miles.
Once you get past the first 30 seconds, they're great!

Sarah said...

I used to do ice baths all the time. Now I find I can get the same effect by running the cold water over my legs/hips for a few mintues at the end of my shower. Believe or not, I rarely feel very sore after a long run. Thanks for visiting!