Saturday, November 05, 2011

Scary thoughts

Do one thing everyday that scares you.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm a fairly timid person, so I don't think I'm ready to face my fears every single day.   But thinking about my running plans for 2012, I would like to push myself out of my comfort zone.  When I think about what race scares me the most, one image comes to mind:

Waldo 100k runners heading up the Willamette Pass ski hill and into the dark, dark forest. 

And if you know anything about this race, that dark, 3am early start should probably be the least of my worries.  I'm toying with the idea of running all the Oregon Trail Series races.  And perhaps throw in a few of the "runnable" (ha!)  Rainshadow Running races for good measure.  I'll definitely need those earlier races to prepare.

And maybe if I'm lucky,  I can end the day in a happy delirium like these two random guys.


5 comments:

Olga said...

I think those 2 random guys look pretty darn awesome for delirious:) Go for it!

iJuls said...

Wow! You're comfort zone is way different than mine. Wishing you all the best in your venture to expand your comfort zone even more. Awesome!

Carrie said...

So what do we do? Sign up and go for it and see what happens? What's the worst that could happen -- we try and don't make it? There's gotta be value in the trying, right?

I don't know the answeres to those questions -- I'm struggling right now. I'm also somewhat freaking over the outlay of $$ this will entail -- but it's better than spending that $$ on healthcare. Right?

Sarah said...

Carrie...I say go for it! As long as the bills are paid I try to not think about the $$. We don't spend money in other areas that many do so the budget seems to even itself out.

Joe said...

Two great posts, Sarah, I'm just catching up to.

Amazing to hear about a walking marathon...that takes some mental toughness in and of itself. And I think will serve you well at ATY.

Like your 2012 musings...I may publish mine soon...two ultras will anchor 2012 for me!!

Happy thanksgiving...hope it was a good day for you, Marc and the LG.