Sunday, May 15, 2011

No right doing that

Someone whose running mileage looks like this:


Should probably not be doing a run like this:



But I did it anyway.

I originally wanted to do a 20 mile loop starting from Germantown Road, but decided I should be a little more conservative since I was running by myself and this would be my first 20 mile run in 5 months. So I started at Upper Macleay park (mile 5) and ran to the zoo (mile 0) and back.

Here's the early morning view from Pittock Mansion:


Then I headed in the other direction to mile mark 10 and back.


Love, love, love Wildwood trail and it certainly was a beautiful day for a trail run. Running 20 miles is not easy, but my struggle on this run was more mental than physical. The nerve pain/stiffness in my foot and ankle appeared, but I tried to ignore it because There Is Nothing Wrong With My Foot. It's all referred pain, but it doesn't always feel that way. But I soldiered along and the last 2 to 3 miles were actually the best of the run.  

Although frustrating at times, this run was a big confidence booster.  I haven't lost as much fitness as I thought.  So I plan to keep on doing my thing and take it one day at a time.

5 comments:

Gretchen said...

Oh for sure you have a right to be doing that! :) I'm glad you just went for it. Looks like a beautiful run!

Olga said...

There is No saying what you should or should not be doing. Only what you want to!

Joe said...

A 20 mile trail run...right in your sweet spot, Sarah. Yes, a big mental hurdle to move over. How wonderful the final 3 were the best of the day!!

Hope the ankle keeps healing up. Remember ATY was a life event and it's ok to slowly bounce back from it!!

Thanks a lot for your encouraging words on Matt's recent graduation...I appreciate you remembering him starting!! That says a lot. Thanks!!

Bret said...

That is a tough little run. Good for you. See ya at the FP 50k next week? Don't let Marc run it this year, I don't want to get lost again in my own backyard! :)

Darrell said...

half your April mileage in one day! oh, why not??