Wednesday, April 09, 2008

I'm elite

I may be considered a mid to back of the packer for running marathons and ultras. But according to the physiatrist's office, I'm an elite athlete! I had my appointment with the physiatrist today. She told me that at my level of exercise they consider me elite. Which is very good news, because essentially that means she will order whatever tests it takes. She ordered a CT scan and a bone scan. I asked about an MRI and she said that would be next if the other tests are inconclusive. She also referred me to a physical therapist that specializes in pelvic physical therapy.

All very good news but I know I still need to have a lot of patience. I'll spare you my rant on the U.S. medical care system. But it took me two weeks to get this appointment and that was only because there was a cancellation. My initial appointment was for April 22 (4 weeks after the initial referral)! So who knows when I'll actually get these tests done or see the PT. Apparently she's only in the office applicable for my referral two days a week. But I've learned that politely squeaking a bit helps. The physiatrist also started me on anti-inflammatory therapy for three weeks. She said if the tests show that I might need steroids, they want you to have tried the anti-inflammatory therapy first. So I might as well get that started now and it could help if my problem is compounded by inflamed muscles pushing on a nerve.

I haven't really mentioned it but I haven't done much of any type of exercise in over a month. My foray into running in early March really set me back so that even gentle low-impact exercise (like the elliptical or stationary bike) caused a huge pain spike later that day. The only thing I've kept up is the yoga class once a week. I finally tried some short pool running sessions last week and that wasn't too bad. The physiatrist said I should keep that up, so I'm going to make a point of getting to the pool regularly. I could have been working my core and upper body all this time too, but I've let myself slack into couch potato mode. Honestly its been hard to stay motivated once I couldn't really engage in intense exercise. So I've had my time to wallow in a bit of self-pity and I'm ready to work on what I can. I'm going to make it a point to follow some sort of core and upper body plan too.

So that's it. Finger's crossed that I can get my tests scheduled soon. Marc is running the Rumble on Sunday so the little guy and I will be there cheering him on. It will be Marc's birthday too, so if you're there, be sure to wish the old guy Happy Birthday!

9 comments:

Bret said...

Sarah keep up the good work. It is so tough not being able to do what you really enjoy. 10 years ago or so I got bad tendinitis in my knee (still have some) and the doc told me to either have surgery or quit running for 1 whole year. I was so bummed! After a bit I found a 4 day a week weight lifting program that was built for one whole year. I followed it religiously. Every 3 months or so I thought I would try and run but the pain came right back in my knee. By having a plan to stay fit in another way really helped my mental state. When running came back it was the greatest feeling ever. I am not a gym rat for sure but this really helped me out emotionally and mentally while keeping fit till the knee fixed itself. Just my two cents, I hope it helps you and you don't have to wait as long as I did. See you in Sisters.

Ask Marc if I can draft off him, he is so dang fast!

Joe said...

Some progress here Sarah...even to the extent you slid in on a cancellation. "Polite squeaking"...yes indeed!

Hang in there...this thing will resolve.

How cool is it you are elite!! That's a tribute in itself!!

Backofpack said...

You certainly are elite! I have no doubt - and what a compliment that the doc recognized it. I hope you find something that helps during the downtime.

Darrell said...

I hope you can find some solution here soon. I can completely relate to not wanting to exercise. I too felt like if I couldn't run, I really didn't want to do anything. It's a mental or psychological battle as much as anything. Stay focused on healing and maintaining and improving other areas of your fitness.

Jamie Anderson said...

Hope things resolve themselves soon. But you're doing everything right in order to recover. Hang in there.

Olga said...

I know how it is - when I can't run, I pretty much turn into depressed couch potato...oh, missy Elite! Wasn't it fun to hear? Keeps the fire going:) Hope to see you this Sunday, and don't give up hope.

Anonymous said...

marc and i share a birthday! happy birthday to him!

and HOW COOL = elite!!! :)

Rick Gaston said...

Um yeah, you are in a very select group. You are an ultra gal. I know you don't really feel that right now but your injury doesn't change your identity and hopefully soon you will be back on the trails again soon. Happy Birthday to Mark.

Unknown said...

Well, we always knew you were elite and now it has been confirmed. I certainly hope things get back to running for you soon. I know I would be a basket case by now.