Thursday, October 19, 2006

I've got that taperin' feeling

You know that part of a taper, where every little ache and pain feels like a major injury emerging? That's how I feel. Except I'm not tapering. I think I just need to get out and run. You know, work out the kinks. While out of town, I didn't run or otherwise exercise except for a single, one hour hike in the desert foothills. My knee felt pretty good, even during the few rocky and steep downhill sections.

Saturday I'm going to test the running waters with a very short trail run. I'll take it slow and easy and stay on the flats. Hopefully I'll be able to ease back into regular training next week and start building back the mileage. I'd like to do another marathon this year, but I'm not sure what that could be. It may just have to be an unofficial one.

On a side note, during my trip I saw my brother, who lives in Phoenix and who, in my opinion, has an impressive marathon record (2:32 PR in his 20's; 2:50 PR in his 30's). I asked him if he'd pace me if I ever ran the Javelina Jundred. His answer? No, but I will if you run Western States.

He was joking....I think.....

8 comments:

Darrell said...

Now, there's a decision....

Enjoy the easy trail run, looks like you may have some long ones in your future.

Backofpack said...

Maybe you could do it this way - he could run Western States and you could be his pacer, then you could run JJ and he could be your pacer.

Have a fun and pain-free run on Saturday!

seagull junker said...

Have a great time on the trail. Just enjoy the day.
tom

Kim said...

Dude, bank that comment!!! You might be doing WS sooner than you think!!!

I'm starting to taper AND feeling every little twinge-urgh.

Unknown said...

I do not have the aches and pains like I am tapering just the lack of running. I hope you get a chance to make it out to Autumn Leaves to help out. There's usually a 50k on New Years Eve that runs the entire length of the Wildwood Trail. Might want to keep that in mind. It's free and I think they even send out results to those who attend.

Rick Gaston said...

Your brother is fast but maybe he just doesn't like sand and heat:) Hopefully he is joking. Me, I would have to be bribed with baked goods to show up in a race like Javelina. mmm...baked goods

Sarah Elaine said...

Aren't siblings great for joking about things like that?! (Yeah... right!)

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Your brother is fast! He may not have the patience that it takes to pace you. Or, he's just scared of howling coyotes, rocks, and sand.