Thursday, July 05, 2012

Quick update on me

Here's a quick update on where things stand with my "injury".  I reluctantly took a week off to rest.  I think the immediate reason for my pain (the rough treatment of my ankle by the LMT) has resolved.  However I firmly believe that my emotions (fear, anger, disappointment, anxiety) got caught up in it all and any lingering pain I have is due to those emotions and not any physical abnormality or injury.  In the past I've let that fear and anxiety keep me in a painful state and ultimately a non-running state for too long.  I'm not going to let that happen again. 

I saw a medical doctor last week who confirmed that I pretty much have normal function in my ankle.  Nothing is broken or torn.  So I've decided to carry on.  The pain is manageable, and sometimes goes away  - which is further proof to me that it's more a mental/emotional thing than a physical thing.  In fact, as I type this out, and acknowledging publicly that it's an emotional thing, I can feel some of the lingering tension in my foot dissipate.

So on to more training!  Despite only running 5 miles the last week of June, I finished up the month with 200 running miles.  I'm on track for 50 or more this week.  My original plan was to train hard with this weekend being a 50 mile weekend (20/30 or 25/25) and then take a 3 week taper to Mt Hood.  But considering the down week last week, I'm moving the 50+ miles to next weekend and then will taper 2 weeks.  

Three more big races in my season Mt Hood 50M, Waldo 100K and then Pine to Palm 100M.  The last two are getting so close it's starting to feel real.


4 comments:

Adelyn said...

Glad you're feeling more in control of your "injury" and back to running :). Fingers crossed any lingering pain vanishes soon as you gain your confidence back

Olga said...

Very happy to hear the foot pain is not there to stay! But I hear ya how we can all bent over in our injures because having them means so much to us (or rather as a threat to what we love to do). But your mileage, girl, wow!

Joe said...

I'm late to this post but that let's me scroll to see you had a decent weekend, Sarah. Way to go. Hope that pain deal is subsiding and your mental approach is helping the cause.

Enjoy the long runs this weekend too... I'm doing a 20/14 here in the brutal Midwest heat...should be interesting!!

Carilyn said...

Yay, Sarah! So glad you are able to get back to it! You have some great races coming up - Woo Hoo! Have fun with the long runs this weekend!