Sunday, July 13, 2008

Grey Rock Trail Run

Do you like small races with friendly home-town volunteers? Love relentless long ups and downs on technical trail? Revel in awesome views of snow capped peaks? Then this is the race for you! Saturday we spent the day in central Washington at the Grey Rock Trail Run. Marc ran the 50k and finished first in his age group! Granted it was a small field, but first is still first, right? They even gave him a medal.

From the sounds of it the course goes up, up, up then down, down, down, then up, up, up then you turn around and do it all again in reverse. Marc moved at a steady pace and didn't bonk. It was hot, but not as hot as it could have been.

The little guy and I spent the day exploring the start/finish area, ringing in the runners and enjoying an awesome home-cooked lunch. I believe the volunteers were all part of the Ahtunum Valley Museum Association, which was the beneficiary of the run. What a friendly, helpful crew of people, both at the finish and the aid stations (according to Marc).

The only drawback I can see of this race is the mosquitoes. I would have enjoyed sitting by the cool creek on the hot day, but the biting bugs were relentless.

Hopefully we'll be back again next year!

Hanging at the start with Monte and Steve

They're off!

Time to soak the feet

A quick glimpse of the elusive Grey Rock lion!

More feet soaking


Home stretch

Time to soak and clean off

Let's get outta here...the mossies are biting!

16 comments:

Darrell said...

Congrats to Marc. It looks like a beautiful day be out enjoying it, except for maybe the bugs.

Unknown said...

Looks like a great day at the races.

wendy said...

yay, marc! first is first, and more important, lots of smiling photos. =)

I don't know how I missed your last post, but you have such great family photos, lots of happy faces!

Hope you're in good spirits, yourself, my friend!

Anonymous said...

awesome!

Bret said...

Nice job Marc! See you both in a couple of weeks at PCT.
Sarah what is the latest on you?

Backofpack said...

The mosquitos can sure wreck a good day in the woods. I think I'm gonna buy a costco-sized can of spray for our trip north! Looks like a gorgeous area and lots of fun.

Joe said...

Sarah, what a cool story...and great for you to be there! Congrats to Marc!

Journey to a Centum said...

Grey Rock looks like a great run. I'll need to put it on my "To Do" list.

Marc is making the right choice with CCC. If your heart is not totally into it you best not start. I'm thinking the Crater Lake/Haulin Aspen combo is a damn tough adventure in it's own right. I will run Aspen again next year!

Cheers!

Olga said...

Too bad Marc is not coming to CC, because there is a chance I may end up without a runner...pacing, anyone? :)

Anonymous said...

how Fun!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Great Re-cap and pics! Congrats Marc

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Sarahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Heat Miser LOL Dang it Sarah now I can't get it out of my head ---- ~!@#$%^

I just added it to the post -- haha we can now pass it on to others and let them sing it all day :-)

Sarah Elaine said...

Great photos!

I now carry a can of repellent in the back of my car, since I usually forget to put it on before I leave.

Adelyn said...

Looks like a beautiful day out there!

I'm guessing mossies is short for mosquitoes? I'm now thankful I don't live somewhere where we have enough of them to give them a cute nickname :)

Glad your guy had a great time out there!

Ryan said...

Looks marvelous, sounds like a challenging trail run. Hope ur summer is going well :-)

Lily on the Road said...

Hi, found you through Bob!

Looks like you have a lot of fun!! Seems we started running around the same time only you were a little faster at finding trail running and ultras!!

I'm considering (seriously) a 50K ultra in 2009! hopefully I'll learn a ton of stuff from you!!!

Great reading, thanks!!