Sunday, April 08, 2007

A 50 mile week


I just finished up an 8 mile run to give me my first 50+ mile week ever. I'm pretty happy about that. I've been hovering in the mid-40's and I wanted to make sure that this week I bumped it up over 50. Next week will be a step-down week. The Eugene Marathon is in 3 weeks but I've decided I won't do a traditional taper and will train right through. I may cut back on some of my mid-week runs the week before, but I plan on keeping the weekend mileage high.

Yesterday Sharon and I ran 22 miles on Leif up in Forest Park. It's been awhile since we've been on Leif and I had forgotten how rocky it can be. Friday was a beautiful, sunny day, but then it showered all night and into Saturday. So we got to run the whole time in a steady rain. It was a solid run, but I felt a lot more tired and sore than I did last week running a faster 20 on the roads.

This morning I woke up with sore legs and a splitting headache. After oohhing and awwwing over the little guy's Easter basket haul, I got myself ready for a run in the neighborhood. I knew I needed 7 to make 50 so that was my goal. It was a beautiful, sunny morning and I managed to keep myself out there 8 miles. As is often the case, I felt so much better when I was done, than when I started.

Aside from needing a break, I'm lowering the mileage next week because we will be in central Oregon so Marc can run the Peterson Ridge Rumble 60k on Sunday. Hopefully I won't be too jealous once we get there, but right now I'm looking forward to being a spectator. We also received confirmation that he got into the McKenzie River 50k in Sept and I sent in his registration for Firetrails 50M. All the accommodation details are taken care of too. So all the races on the sidebar are set! I'm sure there will be some more, but right now I'm not thinking past July for myself.

Happy Easter!

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

Congratulations on your first 50 miles week. I recently had mine and it feels like a great accomplishment doesn't it? But the past 2 following weeks I had to drop the miles down, because my whole body felt the 50. I think it's ok though .

Unknown said...

Yes, great job on the mileage this week. The higher mileage will do you good to get ready for the 50 miler in July. I can't believe Eugene is right around the corner.

Backofpack said...

Great week Sarah! Way to hit the mark. We'll be seeing you soon!

Jessica DeLine said...

50 miles - awesome!!! Happy Easter to you too :)

seagull junker said...

happy easter. yea, 50 miles. a nice number to finish on. see you at PRR.

Rick Gaston said...

Nice job on 50 miles. I'm a low mileage runner myself and I don't count my miles but I'm pretty sure I didn't make 50. Isn't amazing now that you can use marathons as training runs.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Very Nice Sarah on the 50 mile week!! Awesome... Hope u had a Great Easter!

Olga said...

yay for hitting the goal! wasn't THAT hard, was it?
Sat was bad for me too...whimp. don't get sick, and have fun at the Rumble, where hopefully I will make a drive to as well.

Joe said...

Awesome week, Sarah, very cool to cross that threshold!!! I don't envy your run in the rain, but I know that, in Portland, if you don't run in the rain, you don't run!!!

I think you are smart, in light of your goals, to train through Eugene. It'll be a great training run with thousands of friends!!

Journey to a Centum said...

Alright! A big bad 50 mile week! You are sooo ready! Way to tough out that last 7 mile run. Sounds like you were a bit dehydrated after your 22 mile run. Wont' be long and you will be cranking out 50 in one day!

I almost signed up for Peterson Ridge Rumble but I really couldn't find the energy to drive down run and then get back to work on Monday. I've got a great training run planned up on Tiger Mt. but I'm going to miss getting to see everyone in Sisters.

Ginger Breadman said...

Wow! Awesome job on the 50 mile week!

Journey to a Centum said...

OK - here's a good link for window strikes by birds. Could be the spring season with the males being territorial.

http://www.wbu.com/edu/window.htm

Ryan said...

The BIG 5 0

Very nicely done, congratulations and way to get that last pep run in!

Hope you had a nice week = )