Sunday, September 17, 2006

The recovery taper

I'm in week one of my recovery taper and its going well. One of my reasons for finally signing up for the Portland Marathon was that I knew I could just recover and taper at the same time. Midweek I managed a few short runs. My tiredness from the 50k seemed to linger longer this time, but as of today I feel like I'm back to normal.

None of my regular running partners were available this weekend so it turned, quite nicely, into a family run/hike weekend. On Saturday, we drove to the Multnomah Falls trailhead so Marc could run the Multnomah-Angels Rest-Wahkeena Falls loop. Simultaneously, the little guy and I hiked up Wahkeena Falls in order to meet Marc on his way down.

This trail starts out steeply as pavement for the first 1/2 mile and then turns to rocky dirt. It was a chilly pre-fall morning, but we soon had to take off our top layers.


After the first overlook the trail switchbacks up along the creek.


We headed up for about another mile until we came to a junction.


I wasn't sure which trail Marc would be coming down so we decided to wait at the junction and have a snack...and take a few pictures.


....and watch the wildlife.


But after about twenty minutes we decided to head back down the trail.


It wasn't until we were nearly back to the bottom that we finally saw Marc. And we all walked the rest of the way back to the car.


Today we headed out to Forest Park so I could get in a few miles. We parked at the Germantown Road trailhead and headed north on Wildwood. The little guy wanted to run with me, so we all ran for a bit, with Marc in the front and me taking up the rear. But not too far down the trail, the lad took a little tumble and fell into some bushes. At first I thought he had twisted his ankle, but he was okay. I told him he was now an official trailrunner!

After that I took off and ran 4 miles out and then the same 4 miles back, which took about an hour and a half. It felt great! I've noticed in pictures of myself running that I tend to tense up my shoulders, which I imagine wastes a lot of energy. So I practiced relaxing my arms and shoulders and I felt like I was floating along the trail. And since I knew it would be a pretty short run I tried to run most of the hills. Not a problem. I feel recovered, but I'm still going to take it easy on the mileage until the marathon. In fact, I doubt I'll run more than 10 at a time.

I didn't see the boys again until I got back to the car. They had arrived about one minute earlier. Perfect timing!

9 comments:

Sarah Elaine said...

Perfect timing, indeed!

Wonderful photos, too.

Jessica DeLine said...

wow. seriously beautiful trails and a waterfall? I really need to get up there for a run some time...

Olga said...

I love that loop! And you're running great! along with a little trailrunner:)

Unknown said...

When my wife and I first met and lived in Portland we used to go to Multnomah Falls all the time and hike up to the top. I was not a runner back then so it was definitely a good workout for both of us.

The pictures bring back memories. I am not sure if I am quite ready to take all the kids to the top just yet. Maybe next summer when my littlest is a little bigger.

Portland is getting closer each day.

Backofpack said...

Looks like a beautiful spot to run. Looking forward to seeing you in Portland!

Donald said...

It seems like every place you run has a waterfall! I'm very envious.

Kim said...

Isn't it a grand feeling to be recovered from a race so quickly? Ultras are such a different mindset than a road marathon, where the usual advice is not to run for a week or two afterward.
It sounds like a fun family weekend together, and yes, you got another trailrunner there!

seagull junker said...

Great pictures. To all that are running Portland Marathon, have fun. I just can't bring myself to do a road marathon again. But maybe someday. Have fun. It is a good event.

Maybe see some of you at the "fat ass" events this winter? (plurge and splurge on Wildwood? is one.)
tom

Anonymous said...

what beautiful photos